Sunday, February 17, 2008

What a great weekend....




I don't know when it happened, but I am so glad it did! My parents will always be my parents, but some time over the last several years, they have also become my friends. If we're looking for a chance to get out of town, my parents' place is my first choice every time. Hanging out with them always makes for a great weekend.


This weekend we made the trip to Bend. Mom and Dad watched the boys Friday night so we could have our first date since Luke was born. Of course, we went and watched a movie (There Will Be Blood), and enjoyed just having a little time away. Then Saturday morning we got up and made the trip to the cabin.

In the short time my parents have had the cabin, it has become a real place for escape. I love to see the way they relax when they are there - and the time we spend there together feels more satisfying without the intrusion of our daily lives. Max loves it there, too. The last couple of times we have gone up there, there has been quite a bit of snow. He loves to play in it - but his version of play involves either shoveling the snow or just laying around in it.

This weekend Dan and Dad built a great snowman complete with a "moss"stache and Max's plastic carrot nose. They said they were building it for Max, but he barely even noticed it. I love watching my two favorite men interacting and enjoying each other's company. Lots of warm fuzzies, you know?

The rest of the time, we just hung out. Dad took me on my first little snowshoeing walk (great fun), Max played with the old My Little Ponies, Luke just smiled and cooed at "MeMa", Dan read, and we all played a little Wii. Relaxing.

It's time like this that I don't want to forget. When I get caught up in all the things I wish to be accomplishing, or chores that need to be done, life gets overwhelming. But times like this weekend - just spending the days with the people that you enjoy the most - that's what makes it all worth it. Those are the memories I want for my boys.

And if I am really lucky, someday maybe they'll want to just spend the weekend hanging out with their dad and I....

No comments: