Sunday, December 6, 2009

St. Nicholas Day...

And what a gift it was....

Every once in a while we are all given a day where things just go right. I swear it's to help you through all those days that just, well, don't. (Greg Oden, anyone?!) And today has been one of those blessed days for me.

After getting to sleep until almost seven, Max and I got up and put the ornaments on the tree. He was a great helper - I don't even need to secretly rearrange his once he goes to bed. While Dan went to visit his mom, the boys and I headed to mass - Luke in the nursery and Max with me. We came home to finish the tree, eat lunch, and nap (for the boys). While both boys rested, I was able to put up the rest of the decorations. When Max got up he went outside with Dan to put the lights up. We rounded out the evening with a fire in the fireplace (Thanks for the wood, Mom and Dad!) and soup with homemade biscuits.

We also started a new tradition to celebrate St. Nicholas Day. Max and I talked about how St. Nicholas is known for his generosity and helping people in need, and how important it is for us to do the same. To honor this day, we tried to help those who need it (this year we stayed small for today - helping others in our family when needed). And as a fun bonus? "St. Nicholas" gifted Max and Luke with their very own hot cocoa mugs. While I may never remember to leave the shoes out on the right night, I hope to remember to encourage our family to give to others in need each holiday season, in the spirit of St. Nicholas.

I hope that your day was wonderful and joyous too! What fun holiday traditions are you enjoying this season?

2 comments:

Stefanie said...

So cute! I love seeing your boys together -- I hope my future looks similar! :)

Melanie said...

That just sounds like a perfect day! I'm so glad you got to have it with your boys. :) We all need to have days like that.