Friday, March 21, 2008

Playgroup....

Back when I was a newbie mama, I attended a group for new moms at the hospital where Max was born. And in that group, we were "assigned" playgroups for moms with babies the same age as ours. Now, I'm not a joiner - it just isn't my thing. But for some reason, I signed up - and that playgroup has been a wonderful sanity saver ever since.



We started meeting when the babies were around 5 weeks old - there were about 12 mom/baby pairs in the beginning, and we would rotate from one house to another every week. Originally, the babies would lay on the floor, or be cradled in arms as we shared concerns and questions that we were facing at the time. And I have to confess - in the beginning, I wasn't sure that I really fit in, or that we would meet more than a couple of times. But as I got to know these women and their darling babies, I became rather attached.



Here we are, two and a half years later, still getting together. Our group has gone through some changes. We are down to about 5 "regulars", and 5 more that make it when they can. We have new members that have joined us, and we are all on our second round of babies. Our two-year-olds no longer lay on blankets - they are too busy playing house or basketball, running around the playground, or talking to each other in the most adorable conversations. We don't meet every week, but usually three out of every four.

This morning, playgroup was at our house. Now forgive me because I'm feeling all nostalgic, because I've only got one playgroup left before I go back to work, but really, it was the perfect morning. Sitting around with some wonderful friends talking about our day-to-day lives in that comfortable way that happens only when you aren't afraid to let the real you be seen - so satisfying. Nobody pretending to be perfect or have all the answers. Nobody afraid to offer support or encouragement. The "big" kids running around playing together without a fight or arguement - and really not needing us for more than the occasional potty or snack. The "littles" being rocked, nursed, and slung in ways that are second nature to the veterans that we now are.

In a society that has turned mothering into a competitive, isolationist experience, I am so fortunate to have found my "commune", working together to nurture each other and each other's children. I'm just so lucky...

1 comment:

Emily S. said...

That IS cool-- I love that is has evolved/morphed as the needs have changed. Love that the relationships have strengthened out of a "random" grouping...

Cool thing! I'm glad you have this commune too, and I'm super sad for you having to go back to work. You'll be great, but that doesn't make it any easier...