Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sometimes you just remember....

I always love Dan. Obviously. But sometimes there are days that remind me just how much I love him....

Today we were driving home from a quick mall/library trip, when we saw a small cat sitting in the middle of the lane. He wasn't moving, and I was afraid he has already been hit. I sighed, felt terrible for the poor cat, and expected that we would continue on home.

To my surprise, Dan immediately turned around, jumped out of the car, and picked up the cat. It was ok - just very scared and soaking wet. We put him in a box and took him to the Humane Society. When they wouldn't take him, we headed to the animal shelter where they thanked us for bringing him in and prepared to get him cleaned up and fed. The whole "ordeal" took a couple of hours - not exactly what we had in mind for our Saturday.

It was when we were back in the car that I really thought about the afternoon. How many guys would have done what Dan had? I was surprised Dan would turn around. When he got out of the car I expected that he would move the cat out of the road - but didn't expect that he would take the extra step of making sure that the cat stayed safe. And to spend so much time doing it...

Wow. I am so thankful to have a man like this in my life. It's the model of a man that I want for my sons. A kind, caring, compassionate man.

And every once in a while, I remember just how lucky I am........

No comments: