Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Perfect Birthday...


Sunday was my birthday - not usually my favorite day on the planet. In fact, it rarely is even a blip on my radar this time of year. But last week when Dan asked me what I wanted to do for the day, I decided that it would be the perfect time for a last little summer fling - a day at the beach.

It really was wonderful - the day was supposed to be rainy and cloudy, but we decided to go anyway. As we came over the coast mountains, the clouds cleared away and the sun came out. After a dinner at our favorite clam chowder place (Mo's, of course), we headed out on the beach to play.

Max loved digging in the sand, and Dan helped him build sand castles. They also flew the kite that our neighbor gave him last week. Luke and I hung out and enjoyed the sun. Luke also partook of a few mouthfuls of sand - must not taste too bad, because he didn't stop after the first five bites. I couldn't believe how we lucked out. For me, there's not a whole lot better than sand between my toes and the roar of the ocean.


The evening at home wasn't so bad, either. Dan made mint chocolate brownies and we grilled burgers. I got some great new knitting books that I can't wait to dive into and an incredible, beautiful RED mixer! I realize that it sounds a little "fifties housewife" to be so excited about being domestic - but after sewing an apron and baking bread I guess I better just own up to it. I'm happiest making my home. So sue me!

All in all, the perfect day. Maybe birthdays should come along a little more often...

4 comments:

PY said...

happy birthday megan!!!!!
glad the beach was good to you!
i hope you are having a good week
back to work...i know how you feel with birthdays going on with back to
school. mine is always the first day back after christmas break...everyone
is partied out including myself and bummed about holidays being over.
Wha wha whaaaah. sounds like you got
some great gifts. right up my alley.
i got the bend the rules sewing book for my last birthday. love it.

Emily S. said...

i'd be excited about the mixer, too... And we totally had mint brownies and burgers on Monday night, too. Weird.

Lastly, you've got sexy feet. (I don't mean to sound creepy.)

j.yue said...

too funny! i was thinking the same thing about your feet! haha! cute.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your mom sent me your blog, as well as Erin's. I have been enjoying the pictures and catching up on what you guys have been up to. Your day at the beach sounded fantastic! I spent my 30th backpacking w/ Hillary and her dog through the Sawtooth's. Jason threw me a party upon my arrival home.
I am fascinated with the amount of activities your involved in and your ability to raise such a wonderful family. Keep up the great work. I miss you guys. Love Mandy