Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Six months....


Seriously, I can hardly believe it. When Max turned 6 months old, he seemed so big. I was amazed at all he could do, and it felt like he had been a part of our lives forever. But now that Luke is six months old, it feels so different. He's still so little - just a baby! And he just joined our family - still very much the "new guy".

But it's true - Luke is six months old. To celebrate he got to sample a fine dining meal of rice cereal and have the paparazzi capture every bite (my video camera, Dan with the DSLR, and Max with his camera). And he was really not all that impressed. Can't say I blame him!

At six months, he is becoming a lot funnier. He gnaws on anything that gets near his mouth with a fierce determination that often leaves him looking like an old man trying to eat corn-on-the-cob with dentures. He loves to hear the sound of his voice and squeals constantly - and when he's feeling punchy, he'll devise a lovely routine of squeal-grin-gasp-squeal. Blowing raspberries and spreading his copious drool far and wide is another recent favorite. And if I'm being honest, any of the three of these gets me laughing like no Will Farrell movie ever could.

He is also one of the easiest babies on the planet. He is often content to just hang out in his bouncy seat or on a blanket for extended periods of time. Just tossing him a smile placates him in a way that I wish worked for everyone. Fussing is highly unusual, and is remedied by one of three things - a diaper change, feeding, or Max. He falls asleep by himself most of the time, and wakes up smiling. And there have been a good handful of times that he has slept through the night.

I know that just a few minutes ago I said that he feels like he just got here, and that's true. But at the same time, it feels like he has always been a part of our lives. And while I doubted I could ever love anyone as much as I love Max, now I totally understand that it is not only possible, it happens without you even knowing it. This boy has my heart, that's for sure. And I can't wait to see what the next six months will bring.

2 comments:

Martina said...

aww, it's soooo true!! you don't realize how quickly time goes by...all too soon we'll be blogging about our one year olds...sigh...

i love your writing!!

Gloria O said...

I can't believe our kiddos are 6 months now...I had to laugh at your description of feeding his first solids...very similar to what happened at the Obuchowski's.