Monday, October 4, 2010

A small harvest...



It's been an interesting year for gardening. Every year I learn so much about the process. But sometimes I think the biggest lesson I learn in gardening is just how much is OUT of my control.

This year has been a little strange - a very cool summer, with a very wet June. Our first rounds of cucumbers and squash all rotted out, and the second round was late getting started. The beans never really got going - beyond a handful at a time, there were never enough beans for a meal. The chard varied between not growing at all, and leaves that were baked hard from too much sun exposure.

Our large tomatoes have only been getting red in the last week - and most are showing signs of evenings that are too cool. The blueberries did well - but this was only their first year in ground, so the harvest was small. Squash? Overcrowded vines didn't allow for much fruit.

We really only had a few successes this year. Our eggplants grew well, and turned out many fruits (too bad I'm the only one who likes them!). The hops plant provided enough hops for one batch of home brew. And our cherry tomatoes - Sungolds, primarily - have been amazing. And since that's our favorite, it's the only one that really matters.

So, lots of frustrations in the garden, and few moments of glory. Was it worth it?

Of course. The reason I garden is only very partially for the harvest. No, I garden because I want my boys to know how food grows. I want to remember my grandparents, amazing tomato growers. I want an excuse to be outside. And I want to try something that pushes me to let go of my need to control everything.

So, while I still have the beds to clear and soil to mulch, I'm already planning for next year. How about you?

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

I garden for the same reason. Its a way to get back to our roots and the earth and remember where our food actually comes from. We actually had a pretty good harvest this year -- our beans just pumped out more harvest in the last two weeks than they did all year. We're still reaping the benefits of the garden -- fresh tastes best!