Sunday, January 18, 2009

Christmas, Part 2

Christmas trees are a big deal to me - they are the center of the decoration in our home, and a focus of my Christmas memories. But this year I was a little concerned about Luke's lack of self control and my precious ornaments. We decided to try something a little different - origami ornaments (inspired by the Pottery Barn catalog) made from wrapping paper. It was a fun little project for Dan and I, and I didn't worry at all when the basketball sailed into the tree or Luke's hands got a little grabby. (But i am eager to return to the traditional next year - the tree just didn't have the emotional hold for me that hanging all those years of memories does.)


We are so lucky to have families who are very understanding of the need to share holidays. But due to this sharing, we didn't have Christmas with Dan's family until the beginning of January. When it happened, it was perfect - a nice calm day of hanging out and enjoying each other's company here in our home. The boys loved a chance to open gifts again, and the quiet pace allowed them great playtime with new toys. The favorite for both boys? The chance to sit and read new books with Grandma and Grandpa. We are all lucky, indeed.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: